Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Cooking math and meat.

Today we did more with math. From having cooked for myself, I know that there's always a certain amount of food that one tosses away during the preparation process, such as the rinds of fruits. There's actually a formal way to think about this in terms of percentages so that when one is cooking on a large scale one can know how much to order. There's even books with tables that tells you the edible percentage of such and such food.
Chef Ron had something else to do today, so Chef Jacky had us for the rest of the time. We talked about the different primal cuts of beef, veal, lamb and pork, and the various methods to cook things. I'm somewhat amused to find out that I actually had some pretty good sense about this just from having observed what was served in restaurants and what's done on cooking shows. We also went into more detail about beef and poultry. Someone suggested during one of our breaks that we should all chip in and get some Kobe beef just so we know what it tastes like. That would be awesome. I can't believe that I used to live in Japan and never had it. Of course, it's so bloody expensive.
Chef Jacky was pretty funny today too. He's not a big fan of English or Scottish food. Then again, who boils meat!!! (I mean, except maybe in soup.) Also, I don't know that I'd ever be brave enough to stomach haggis. (Pun absolutely intended)
We also got our sanitation tests back. I missed one question. Must find out which one that was. Oops. (On the other hand, for my job that's going to help pay part of my expenses, I had to take the certification test and got 100 on that, so....) We'll get our Food Handler's Cards next week. Of course, since at the moment I don't have a restaurant job, I don't have a use for it just yet, but... I wonder if the other states require something similar. I know that when I was a college student in Massachusetts we didn't have to get one. But then again, that was like a gazillion years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home