Monday, July 11, 2005

Cooking methods

Last Friday and today we started talking about cooking methods. So far we've done griling, broiling and sauteing. They are dry, high heat methods, great for things that are tender. Unless, of course, you overcook them, which is ironically what happened to the porkchops I had for dinner on Sunday night. I didn't have the heart to tell my class. But then again, I was not the one doing the cooking.
We also finished up the last of the math stuff last week, and had our quiz today at the end of the class. It wasn't too bad, unless if I made some stupid careless mistakes. Always possible, of course.
Today we also got divided up into our cooking groups, and got the menus for the next two weeks. I kind of feel gipped, since our group didn't get to play with duck. Oh, well. What actually really concerns me, however, is that there is a person in our group that's been through this before. It's nice in a way, but at the same time I am hoping he wouldn't want to take over or something. My group seems rather quiet, and there are 4 guys to 2 women.
We also got an orientation to the kitchen. I forgot to mention that they are called Escoffier and Careme, after the ooo-la-la fancy French chefs. We also got towels and aprons. I am really hoping that the cooking weeks will go well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home