Tuesday, August 09, 2011

mmm, berries

The last few days I have been mostly dining on left overs, and other non exciting pre-made stuff from stores. Also been eating at weird times because of when I've been getting up. (Not that I want to...) Today, for example, I was awake by 3:30 a.m. Given that, I really needed a breakfast like this.. :


I think I can be forgiven for using frozen waffles. I love the summer berry season, such colourful and juicy things, not to mention good for you. Putting them on the waffles or pancakes really dresses things up a bit. I also like mixing them in with Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is more expensive, but that's because it has more protein, is much thicker, and takes more milk to make. It's also a good substitute for sour cream. I find it to be more satisfying to eat than plain yogurt. The thickness gives what the Chinese would call good mouth feel.



Something that occurred to me over the past week is that while I've had meatless meals, I've usually managed to have dairy in them. It got me thinking about lactose intolerance. I will be reading and writing more about it in the future. But I guess it speaks to my instinct of making sure my meals are balanced. For a few years in college I was mostly vegetarian, but I think I'd find being a vegan to be considerably more challenging. I don't have a serious problem with lactose intolerance, so in the mean time I shall just keep to the status quo.

Here's something fun.. Zucchini ribbons with ravioli.. The ribbons are made by using a peeler, and just blanched in seasoned water. (Chef talk for dunking it in boiling salted water quickly, so it still retains colour.) I had the water all ready anyway for the ravioli. The ravioli was store bought, arugula and parmesan.)



Instead of the usual beef and broccoli, I made chicken and broccoli for dinner. A note on timing.... Usually when I cook a Chinese meal, I start the rice going first and then do the rest of my prep. That way the rice is done as dish is ready to be plated. Right. Back to reading.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home