Monday, August 01, 2011

Tempus Fugit.... But back now....

Wow, can't believe that so much time has passed... Just managed to get back into the blog.. In the mean time, I've finished cooking school, lost my camera and a good many pictures, acquired a new one, and broken my wrist badly...

Not to worry... my wrist is healed now, and I'm back to being able to wield a knife. Most certainly have gained an appreciation for those simple things I used to take for granted that I could do in the kitchen and elsewhere. Over the past few months I've made such dishes as Coq au Vin, Chicken Cacciatore, Garlic Shrimp, and most recently Bread Pudding and Scotch Eggs. The pictures are now safely tucked away on my computer, and also in my Facebook profile. I learned my lesson! (Actually, I was on my way to make copies of the pictures at Walgreens, so I had more discs with me than I normally would have had, when I lost my camera. My bad luck.)

The story behind the Scotch eggs... One of my friends on FB happened to have posted about bacon wrapped eggs.. and that led to a few comments about the Scotch ones. I had never eaten them before, and never even heard of them until recently. When I first heard about them, I looked it up and saw some videos, not sure whether it was something I wanted to attempt. Not exactly hard to make, just not all that healthy for you. It's sausage meat wrapped around boiled egg, breaded and fried, after all! But such is peer pressure.

Actually, I had pork and eggs at home at the time, so it seems destined for me to make the attempt that day. Instead of sausage, I just seasoned the pork myself, and made my own bread crumbs. I did have to make a special run to the store for sage, but that seemed like a small price to pay. Sausage meat usually has much more fat - in charcuterie class at school we learned how to make sausage, and we had to add extra fat (!) - so my version is probably not as artery clogging.. (I hope, anyway, since it's my arteries.) And I baked them, instead of frying them. So one might say this is a case of having one's eggs and eating it too? I'm not exactly a health nut, but cutting out some saturated fats when I can seems like a good thing.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2213032494288.130064.1501800396&l=a6ff768b2c&type=1

Until the next dish..

1 Comments:

At 1/8/11 22:11, Blogger Perpetual Beginner said...

Welcome back to blogging!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home