Thursday, August 04, 2011

Soup and Sandwich


A very warm day today, so dinner did not involve much cooking. The soup is a miso soup. Miso is a bean paste, quite a favourite in Japan, but go light on it if you're concerned about sodium levels. This one has a big bunch of spinach, some small pork meatballs, mushrooms, and white pepper, and topped with cilantro. The sandwich is cucumber and tomato, with some green onion cream cheese and cilantro thrown in. So I think tonight's dinner has got a good mix of protein, carbs and fats, and plenty of veggies again. This cucumber sandwich may not look very delicate, and I didn't remove the crust, but it was certainly tasty. I was happy that I remembered to stop at the store on the way home today to pick up the tomatoes and cilantro. I really wish I had enough light on my porch to grow fresh herbs and tomatoes. The spring has been cold and wet, so not much success. I do have some scraggly cilantro about, but not in enough quantity or of good enough quality to eat. Supposedly I have some Thai basil peeking out, or at least that's what's labelled. but it looks and smells more like oregano... Possibly an oregano seed found its way in what should have been the basil pot. Oh, well, at this point I'll take any herb that has managed to grow.



Leftovers of the eggplant for lunch, scotch egg and and vegetable bao for breakfast... So one meatless meal today.

1 Comments:

At 4/8/11 21:23, Blogger Perpetual Beginner said...

The soup looks tasty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home