Friday, August 26, 2005

Pesto and Legumes

On Wednesday we spent time in class making pesto for a team challenge. My team made the one with cilantro, lemon juice and pumpkin seeds. I liked it, since I like cilantro, but we still didn't win a point. Darn. And we were the first one to win points too. We also had a really tender and moist roasted chicken with fresh bay leaves under the skin. A nice, simple preparation, but delicious.
I went to lab later and helped to make lemonades with herbs. There was also hummus and tabbouleh, and different rolled flank steaks being experimented on. I thought the flavours were good, especially since that also meant I didn't have to go hungry, but I'm not sure I care for flank steak. It's one of the tough ones, and I think it could have braised longer to be more tender, and also to get flavour into the meat.
But due to the efforts of the lab, we had lots of good food to eat on Thursday morning. I loved the mint lemonade and hummus. The other bean dishes were very comforting to eat too. I can't wait for the winter when I can cook up a nice batch for my family and friends.
We also saw all kind of legumes and grains. I wish I'd had a chance to cook up the quinoa I'd bought. Maybe I can play with quinoa in lab. There was also something called amaranth I'd like to try.
Maybe it's just that I've eaten a lot of meats lately, but I sort of feel as if my body is craving more fruits, veggies and legumes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home