Thursday, July 21, 2005

Stocks and Sauces.

Yesterday it was our day to do vegetables, and we actually did a rather decent job, I think. We went more Asian, and I did tempura for the first time. Got some compliments on them too. Today as a group, however, left something to be desired. We as a class got a late start with our tasting. But our sous chef for the day, as nice a person as he is, did not always have his act together and communicate his ideas very well. So far our group has not had a very good thing with our mise en place. It is not my place to say that to anyone in particular, but I made it as a comment about the whole group, and they agreed with me. We have to do better tomorrow.
In all honesty, however, he tried, and if he messes up, he messes up. Part of the learning experience. Most of us got a couple of proficiencies signed off, between the onions and sauces. I wish my concassee could have turned out well yesterday, but I had a major hiccup. Will have to get it some other time. I think I can do that tomorrow. My veloute got full marks, which considering it was also the first time I'd done it, made me very happy. But of course Gary did give me a tip so I was able to fix that a bit better. But we might even be able to use that for our dish tomorrow, since we're doing fricassees.
I also need to be more careful with my knife, according to Chef Dennis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home